Monday, July 14, 2008

word up

Here's a cool site...and a revealing one. Wordle takes seemingly any amount of text you throw into it and creates a graphic picture of your most used words. The larger the font graphic, the more you used it. I suppose it axes ubiquitous connectors and less essential words (“a”, “and”, “the”, etc; think Strong’s Concordance, perhaps).

But it’s revealing to see the words you use most. I threw in the entire text of my book and this is what I got…

Uh, I suppose a book on outward-focused living should feature Jesus, God, People and Love pretty prominently. But I was almost afraid to throw in a transcript of one of my weekend messages. I couldn’t resist. This was my last message at VCC; it was on leadership and integrity…

Interesting, eh? Try it yourself. You can even simply type in your blog URL; it will track down everything you’ve written and create an original piece of art from the key words in your ramblings.

Revelatory. And scary fun.

4 comments:

  1. Don't you know how to take a break? Can I have a signed copy of your book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right it is fun & revealing - I dropped in a short two pager I wrote for our church leadership when they were asking people what their vision of church was and it came out with this:

    http://wordle.net/gallery/wrdl/75579/A_vision_for_church

    Made me think!
    Paul

    PS Thanks for your blog, I was recommended to it from your book on Amazon

    ReplyDelete